This qualification is delivered by Trent Education Centre Nottingham.
This qualification consists of 3 mandatory components:
- component 1 Speaking, Listening and Communication
- component 2 Reading
- component 3 Writing
To be awarded the NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 2, learners are required to successfully complete all 3 mandatory components, by achieving their task-based assessments. Component credits will not be awarded. Grades are not awarded and the 3 components are weighted equally.
The qualification skills standards each learner must meet in order to successfully complete this qualification are available from the Ofqual website www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ofqual.
They can also be found on the qualifications page on our dedicated qualifications website www.qualhub.co.uk.
Learners who aren’t successful can resit their assessment(s) within the registration period; however, a charge may apply.
- Qualification number (QN): : 600/0140/9
- Aim reference: : 60001409
- Total Qualification Time (TQT): 54
- Guided learning hours (GLH): 45
- Level: 2
- Assessment requirements: 3 mandatory task-based assessments
Total Qualification Time (TQT)
Total Qualification Time is the number of notional hours which represents an estimate of the total amount of time that could reasonably be expected to be required in order for a learner to achieve and demonstrate the achievement of the level of attainment necessary for the award of a qualification.
Total Qualification Time comprises:
- the Guided Learning Hours for the qualification
- an estimate of the number of hours a learner will reasonably be likely to spend in preparation, study or any other form of participation in education or training, including assessment, which takes place as directed by – but not under the immediate guidance or supervision of – a lecturer, supervisor, Tutor or other appropriate provider of education or training.
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to:
- NCFE Functional Skills qualification in Mathematics
- NCFE Functional Skills qualification in Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
As this qualification develops transferable skills which will be useful in work and life, learners could also progress onto a variety of NCFE qualifications in Employability, Money Management, or vocational areas. This qualification is also an integral part of the Apprenticeship frameworks.
This qualification is designed for a wide range of learners who want to develop practical and transferable skills in English. There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for this qualification. However, learners may find it helpful if they’ve already achieved a Level 1 qualification.
This qualification is suitable for learners aged pre-16 and above, although it is recommended that learners should be aged at least 14. Centres are responsible for ensuring that this qualification is appropriate for the age and ability of learners. They need to make sure that learners can fulfil the requirements of the assessment criteria and comply with the relevant literacy, numeracy and health and safety aspects of this qualification.
Learners registered on this qualification shouldn’t undertake another qualification at the same level with the same or a similar title, as duplication of learning may affect funding eligibility.
Lecturers are highly experienced in their sector and hold recognized and relevant teaching and assessment qualifications.
Rather than herd all our students into a large lecture theatre and treat them as one mass group we teach in smaller groups (maximum of 30). This enables the tutors to get to know students individually and quickly ascertain their development so that they can provide extra help where and when necessary.
- Completed admission application form, available here or visit our campus to obtain one.
- Statement of purpose (explaining why you wish to study this programme and how this course will help you in the future)
- Interview with the course leader and admission team to discuss your intention to study this programme.